Subscribe to our newsletter with stories from our latest adventures and the travel tips
Ani Ruins is located 42 kilometers from Kars, on the Turkish-Armenian border. It is one of the rare cities that has been inhabited continuously from the Early Iron Age to the 16th century, and has been used as both a trade, religion and military center throughout history. In this region, which has been home to many faiths, both mosques, churches and fire temples can be seen at the same time. Known as the city of 1001 churches, Ani is also known as the City of Forty Doors.
The name Ani is based on Armenian mythology. The name of the daughter of Aramazd, the father of the gods, is Anahit, meaning “golden hair” or “golden hand”.
Everyone who looks at Anahit tells him “Ani!” which means “that” or “the most beautiful” in Armenian. he calls. It is rumored that this region was called Ani because of this story.
The kingdom of Armenia was established here for the first time. It has been one of the stops of a trade network extending to the Caucasus, Central Asia and China along the Silk Road.
It has been on the UNESCO World Heritage list since 2016.