Subscribe to our newsletter with stories from our latest adventures and the travel tips
Çinili Bathhouse /Tiled Turkish Bath (this word, “çini” are handcrafted porcelain or ceramic artifacts in blue, red and various colors, often decorated with flower paintings, used in the decoration of royal buildings.) was built in 1640 at the request of Kösem Sultan. The Çinili Complex, which includes the Çinili Mosque, the library and the police station, was planned with these three structures. A bath was added to the complex for the bathing of the masters working in the construction of the Çinili Mosque. All of the tiles (çini) that gave the bath its name were stolen. The structural integrity of the bath has survived until today in Üsküdar.
Traditionally, Çinili Bathhouse is heated by the burning of a large cauldron under the section located in the middle of the two domes, closer to the women’s side. Compared to many baths built in its period, it is quite spacious since it was built on a large area.
Glass lanterns covering the holes called elephant eyes opened on the dome to receive light in Ottoman baths allow the light to enter, and when it is very hot inside, these chambers in the domes are removed to allow the bath to breathe.
Men’s section is open every weekday 07:00 – 22:00
Women’s section is open every weekday between 08:00 – 19:30.
Inside, there are tellak and natirs that make a scrub and massage.
Only cash payments are accepted.